What is Gastroenterology ?
Gastroenterology is primarily concerned with the digestive diseases. It focuses on the treatment of diseases that affect the gastrointestinal tract involving stomach, pancreas, gallbladder, esophagus, large intestine and small intestine. A Gastroenterologist properly diagnoses and treats the diseases of the digestive system.
Who should consider Gastroenterology Surgery ?
Weight loss and change in bowel habit are the alarming symptoms for gastroenterology. Apart from these, there are some conditions where the patient is required to consult a specialist
- Abdominal Pain
- Blood in the stool
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease or Acid Reflux
The disorders caused by gastrointestinal system are as follows:
- Colon polyps
- Esophageal cancers
- Cancer and gall bladder stones
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Malabsorption and nutritional problems
- Gastroesophageal Reflux
- Bowel and colon cancers
- Biliary tract disease
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Gastric cancers
Types of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Different types of gastrointestinal surgery can treat the following conditions that can improve quality of life of for many patients.
- Mediastinal masses
- Laryngopharyngeal reflux disease (LPR)
- Paraesophageal hernias, hiatal hernias and ventral hernias
- Gastrointestinal reflux disease (GERD) or severe heartburn
- GIST and other stomach tumors
- Esophageal disease
- Anorectal disease including rectal prolapse, incontinence
- Gallbladder disease
- Ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease
- Enterocutaneous fistula and short bowel syndrome